What should I know about Cleocin I.V. before taking it?

Cleocin I.V. should not be used to treat meningitis because it does not get into that area enough to kill the bacteria. Do not stop administration of the medication prior to doctor's orders. If you do, the infections may return and be more resistant to the medication later. It's not known whether Cleocin I.V. is safe to take during the first trimester of pregnancy. Pregnant women should receive Cleocin I.V. in the first trimester only if clearly needed. This medication may be passed to an infant by breastfeeding, so either the antibiotic or the breastfeeding should be discontinued. Cleocin I.V. also may cause serious skin reactions, so tell your doctor right away if you develop any rashes, peeling or other skin symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...