What should I know about Cleocin I.V. before taking it?

Cleocin I.V. should not be used to treat meningitis because it does not get into that area enough to kill the bacteria. Do not stop administration of the medication prior to doctor's orders. If you do, the infections may return and be more resistant to the medication later. It's not known whether Cleocin I.V. is safe to take during the first trimester of pregnancy. Pregnant women should receive Cleocin I.V. in the first trimester only if clearly needed. This medication may be passed to an infant by breastfeeding, so either the antibiotic or the breastfeeding should be discontinued. Cleocin I.V. also may cause serious skin reactions, so tell your doctor right away if you develop any rashes, peeling or other skin symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...