What should I know about Cleocin I.V. before taking it?

Cleocin I.V. should not be used to treat meningitis because it does not get into that area enough to kill the bacteria. Do not stop administration of the medication prior to doctor's orders. If you do, the infections may return and be more resistant to the medication later. It's not known whether Cleocin I.V. is safe to take during the first trimester of pregnancy. Pregnant women should receive Cleocin I.V. in the first trimester only if clearly needed. This medication may be passed to an infant by breastfeeding, so either the antibiotic or the breastfeeding should be discontinued. Cleocin I.V. also may cause serious skin reactions, so tell your doctor right away if you develop any rashes, peeling or other skin symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...