What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old.

If you have an abnormal heart rhythm, azithromycin can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have uncompensated heart failure, azithromycin can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have impaired kidney function, impaired liver function, or myasthenia gravis, azithromycin may not be a good option for you.

Azithromycin may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

Azithromycin is passed into breast milk and may not be a good option for breastfeeding women.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Mitzi Conover, MDMitzi Conover, MD
Oftentimes, ear infections are treated with antibiotics. It's very common in children under the ...