What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old.

If you have an abnormal heart rhythm, azithromycin can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have uncompensated heart failure, azithromycin can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have impaired kidney function, impaired liver function, or myasthenia gravis, azithromycin may not be a good option for you.

Azithromycin may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

Azithromycin is passed into breast milk and may not be a good option for breastfeeding women.  

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...
How do antibiotics work?
Each type of antibiotic targets a specific aspect of a bacteria's life by interfering with either th...