What should I know about Xifaxan before taking it?

Xifaxan treats bacterial infections caused by E.coli. Xifaxan passes through the stomach and can cure intestinal infections. If you have an infection that is caused by a virus, or a bacterial infection in another part of your body, Xifaxan should not be used.

Your doctor may prescribe Xifaxan if you have liver disease. However, if you have severe liver disease, or diarrhea that is watery, bloody, or accompanied by a fever, you may not be able to take Xifaxan. Xifaxan should not be used in children under age 12. Xifaxan may harm a developing fetus or a nursing baby.

Take all of your medicine at the same time every day even when you begin to feel better. When you are taking Xifaxan, do not take anti-diarrhea medicine. If your symptoms do not improve within 24 hours or if they get worse, call your doctor.

You should not take Xifaxan if you are allergic to it or to medicines containing rifaximin, rifabutin, rifampin, or rifapentine. Tell your doctor about all other medications, supplements, or herbs you are taking while on Xifazan, as some may interact, particularly other antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?
Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...