What should I know about telavancin before receiving it?

In rare cases, use of telavancin (Vibativ) can cause a condition called long QT syndrome that can result in potentially fatal heart rhythm problems. Low potassium or magnesium blood levels can increase the risk of developing long QT syndrome, as can a personal or family history of heart attack or heart disease. Tell your doctor if you have any of these conditions. Your doctor also should know if you have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure or kidney disease. As an antibiotic, telavancin may interfere with certain bacterial vaccines. Tell your doctor if you have recently received a dose of telavancin before getting a vaccine or undergoing a surgical procedure.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...