What should I know about tigecycline before receiving it?

It is important to tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant or plan to become pregnant, before receiving tigecycline. The FDA has classified tigecycline as a pregnancy Category D drug, meaning that studies indicate the medication may harm a developing fetus. It is not known whether tigecycline passes through breast milk to a nursing infant. A woman should discuss with her doctor the potential risks of breastfeeding while receiving tigecycline.

Be sure to tell your doctor if you have antibiotic-related diarrhea, liver disease or pancreatitis. Tigecycline decreases the effectiveness of oral contraceptives. While using tigecycline, a woman should utilize an alternative method of non-hormonal birth control to prevent pregnancy. The medication should not interfere with the effectiveness of condoms, diaphragms and contraceptive foams. Tigecycline causes sun sensitivity. To prevent sunburn, avoid exposure to the sunlight and wear protective clothing and sunscreen if exposure is unavoidable. Tigecycline may cause severe diarrhea. Do not take any treatment for the diarrhea that has not been prescribed or approved by your doctor. Do not self-treat.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

what types of infections can antibiotics treat ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antibiotics are medicines that only treat bacterial infections. Different medicines kill different t...
does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus ?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
should i give my child antibiotics ?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
should antibiotics be banned in animal feed ?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...