What should I know about meropenem before taking it?

Do not take meropenem if you are allergic to it or to other antibiotics, such as imipenem, penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotics. You may not be able to take meropenem if you have kidney disease, a seizure disorder, a head injury or a brain tumor. Make sure that your doctor knows you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Before starting meropenem you should inform your doctor about any medications, vitamins or nutritional supplements you are taking. Probenecid and valproic acid may interact with meropenem.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...