What should I know about meropenem before taking it?

Do not take meropenem if you are allergic to it or to other antibiotics, such as imipenem, penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotics. You may not be able to take meropenem if you have kidney disease, a seizure disorder, a head injury or a brain tumor. Make sure that your doctor knows you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Before starting meropenem you should inform your doctor about any medications, vitamins or nutritional supplements you are taking. Probenecid and valproic acid may interact with meropenem.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...