What should I know about meropenem before taking it?

Do not take meropenem if you are allergic to it or to other antibiotics, such as imipenem, penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotics. You may not be able to take meropenem if you have kidney disease, a seizure disorder, a head injury or a brain tumor. Make sure that your doctor knows you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Before starting meropenem you should inform your doctor about any medications, vitamins or nutritional supplements you are taking. Probenecid and valproic acid may interact with meropenem.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...