What should I know about imipenem-cilastatin before using it?

You should know that imipenem-cilastatin is an injectable antibiotic used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It will not work for viral or fungal infections. It may not be safe for use during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. If you are diabetic you should also know that this drug can cause a false positive if you use Clinitest tablets to check your urine for sugar. If you have kidney or liver problems, asthma, colitis or other gastrointestinal diseases or seizures, you should talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of using imipenem-cilastatin. It may cause side effects, including some that are serious, and you should become familiar with these before taking this medication. Report any side effects to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What is an antibiotic?
Dr. Ronald G. Glass, DDSDr. Ronald G. Glass, DDS
An antibiotic is a substance (usually a drug) that either inhibited growth or kills a germ. In order...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...