What should I know before taking colistimethate injection?

Colistimethate injection may cause severe diarrhea. If you develop diarrhea, do not use any medication to treat it until you have spoken to your doctor. Colistimethate injections are usually administered by a healthcare professional. Tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease or if you have diarrhea, before beginning treatment with colistimethate. You may begin to feel better before treatment is complete, but you should still complete the entire prescribed treatment. Colistimethate is a pregnancy Category C medication, which means that it may cause harm to the fetus and should not be taken unless absolutely necessary. Make sure to tell your doctor about all of the medications you're taking and any pre-existing medical conditions that you have, before starting on this drug. The terms colistimethate, colistin and polymyxin E are sometimes used interchangeably.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...