What should I know about colistimethate before taking it?

Colistimethate is intended to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is administered through an intramuscular injection or intravenous infusion. While it is not FDA-approved, some people with cystic fibrosis or respiratory tract infections may use colistimethate by inhalation through a nebulizer. However, this method carries certain risks, as the medication's liquid mixture can break down into potentially damaging chemicals. Colistimethate should not be used by people who are allergic to this medication, and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their doctors before using this medication. Colistimethate should be taken for its prescribed period. Even if your symptoms go away, continue to take the recommended dosage. Colistimethate has the potential to interact with other medications, including anesthesia drugs; cephalothin; cisplatin; cyclosporine; medicines for infections, such as acyclovir, adefovir, amikacin, amphotericin B, bacitracin, cidofovir, foscarnet, ganciclovir, gentamicin, kanamycin, pentamidine, polymyxin B, streptomycin, tobramycin and vancomycin; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or naproxen; pamidronate; and zoledronic acid. Tell your doctor about any other medicines you may be taking, including vitamins and nutritional supplements and over-the counter medications.  

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...