How does imipenem and cilastatin interact with other medications or foods?

Some medications can interact negatively with imipenem-cilastatin. Ganciclovir, cyclosporin and valproic acid are medications that are known to interact with imipenem-cilastatin and result in increased risk of seizures. Cilastatin can affect the excretion of cyclosporine by the kidney. Penicillins should not be used at the same time because imipenem can increase the activity of the enzyme that destroys penicillin. Probenecid can alter the protective effect that cilastatin has on the kidneys when imipenem is used. Other interactions are possible, so tell your doctor about any other medications, vitamins, supplements or herbal remedies you are taking.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
Can antibiotics cure Lyme disease?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Two key points about Lyme disease:Active Lyme disease can persist after antibiotic therapy.Active Ly...