How does imipenem and cilastatin interact with other medications or foods?

Some medications can interact negatively with imipenem-cilastatin. Ganciclovir, cyclosporin and valproic acid are medications that are known to interact with imipenem-cilastatin and result in increased risk of seizures. Cilastatin can affect the excretion of cyclosporine by the kidney. Penicillins should not be used at the same time because imipenem can increase the activity of the enzyme that destroys penicillin. Probenecid can alter the protective effect that cilastatin has on the kidneys when imipenem is used. Other interactions are possible, so tell your doctor about any other medications, vitamins, supplements or herbal remedies you are taking.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...