If I'm taking theophylline, is it okay for me to take Ketek?

If you are taking theophylline (a drug used for asthma and other respiratory conditions that's sold under the brand names Elixophyllin, Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl and others), you can also take the Ketek (telithromycin). However, you shouldn't take the two medicines at the same time. Schedule the Ketek, an antibiotic for treating certain kinds of pneumonia, for at least one hour before or one hour after taking your theophylline. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist for information on how these drugs interact with each other.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...