If I'm taking theophylline, is it okay for me to take Ketek?

If you are taking theophylline (a drug used for asthma and other respiratory conditions that's sold under the brand names Elixophyllin, Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl and others), you can also take the Ketek (telithromycin). However, you shouldn't take the two medicines at the same time. Schedule the Ketek, an antibiotic for treating certain kinds of pneumonia, for at least one hour before or one hour after taking your theophylline. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist for information on how these drugs interact with each other.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?
Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those i...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...