If I'm taking Lipitor, can I take Ketek?

If you're taking the cholesterol-lowering drug Lipitor (atorvastatin), you should not take Ketek (telithromycin), an antibiotic prescribed for certain types of pneumonia. Also, while taking Ketek, you should not take any of these other cholesterol-lowering medicines:
  • Zocor (simvastatin)
  • Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin)
  • Mevacor (lovastatin)

Tell your doctor about all drugs (and supplements) you take so that he or she can make sure none of your medications will interact badly with each other.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How do antibiotics work?
Each type of antibiotic targets a specific aspect of a bacteria's life by interfering with either th...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...