Does ampicillin and sulbactam interact with other medications or foods?

Ampicillin-sulbactam (Unasyn) may interact with other medications, including: other antibiotics, such as tetracyclines; probenecid; heparin; anticoagulants; aminoglycosides; methotrexate; allopurinol; and oral typhoid vaccine. This medication may reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills. Make sure you tell your doctor about all other medications, vitamins and herbal supplements you take. Your doctor can make sure these do not produce harmful side effects when combined with ampicillin-sulbactam.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...