How should I use bacitracin?

You should use bacitracin exactly as directed by your doctor or as instructed on the package label. You can use ointment on small cuts or abrasions to help prevent bacterial infection. Wash your hands and then clean the abraded area with soap and water. Dry the skin. Apply a light coat of the ointment over the area. You can cover the wound with a clean bandage, if needed. Keep the area clean, and apply another light coat of ointment up to three times per day. The ophthalmic ointment should be used exactly as directed by your doctor. The injectable will be administered to you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?
Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the s...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...