How can I safely take antibiotics?

Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or most sore throats. Do not take antibiotics prescribed for someone else. The antibiotic may not be appropriate for your or your child's illness. Taking the wrong medicine may delay correct treatment and allow bacteria to multiply.

If your doctor prescribes an antibiotic for you or your child:

• Do not skip doses.
  • Do not save any of the antibiotics for the next time you or your child gets sick.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...