How can I safely take antibiotics?

Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or most sore throats. Do not take antibiotics prescribed for someone else. The antibiotic may not be appropriate for your or your child's illness. Taking the wrong medicine may delay correct treatment and allow bacteria to multiply.

If your doctor prescribes an antibiotic for you or your child:

• Do not skip doses.
  • Do not save any of the antibiotics for the next time you or your child gets sick.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

is there a generic version of baciguent ( bacitracin) ?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines recommend antibiotics before going to the dentist fo...
can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools ?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus ?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...