How is colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral) stored?

The antibiotic colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral) may be given in the home health care setting in some circumstances, and may need to be stored there. The unmixed vials should be kept in their original container at room temperature and stored away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. After mixing the vial into a liquid, the vial should be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Discard any unused liquid after seven days.

Medication supplies may include syringes because the antibiotic is injected. Your doctor should provide you with a biohazard needle container for proper disposal of used needles. Keep the medication and all supplies away from the reach of children. If the medication is expired, ask your doctor or pharmacist how best to discard it.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...