How does fosfomycin work?

Fosfomycin works by stopping certain types of bacteria from making the walls they need to protect their cells. It does this by changing an enzyme that the bacteria need. It also reduces the ability of the bacteria to stick to the sides of the bladder. It works in urine and is effective against many types of bacteria that cause bladder infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...