How does fosfomycin work?

Fosfomycin works by stopping certain types of bacteria from making the walls they need to protect their cells. It does this by changing an enzyme that the bacteria need. It also reduces the ability of the bacteria to stick to the sides of the bladder. It works in urine and is effective against many types of bacteria that cause bladder infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...