How effective are antibiotics?

Louise E. Sivak, MD
Pediatrics
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective against a specific spectrum of germs as long as these germs do not develop or acquire resistance to it. Antibiotics by definition treat certain bacterial infections NOT viral infections such as colds or influenza.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...