How effective are antibiotics?

Louise E. Sivak, MD
Pediatrics
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective against a specific spectrum of germs as long as these germs do not develop or acquire resistance to it. Antibiotics by definition treat certain bacterial infections NOT viral infections such as colds or influenza.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?
Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...