Does bacitracin treat impetigo?

Impetigo is a very contagious bacterial infection of the skin that can be caused by two types of bacteria: Staphylococcus aureus (staph), which is most common, and Streptococcus pyogenes (strep). Although bacitracin ointment may be used for impetigo, it does not have the indication. Impetigo is often treated with oral antibiotics and other topical antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

how do antibiotics affect good bacteria ?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
is there a generic version of baciguent ( bacitracin) ?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
should i give my child antibiotics for a viral infection ?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
can antibiotics treat a viral infection ?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...