How does ampicillin and sulbactam work?

Ampicillin-sulbactam (brand name Unasyn) is an antibiotic combination that is given by injection. Antibiotics kill bacteria or suppress bacteria growth. Ampicillin prevents bacteria from making new cell walls and, without cell walls, the bacteria die. Sulbactam helps the mixture kill a wider variety of bacteria than ampicillin alone.

Ampicillin-sulbactam is used to treat bacterial infections caused by susceptible bacteria.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...