How does ampicillin and sulbactam work?

Ampicillin-sulbactam (brand name Unasyn) is an antibiotic combination that is given by injection. Antibiotics kill bacteria or suppress bacteria growth. Ampicillin prevents bacteria from making new cell walls and, without cell walls, the bacteria die. Sulbactam helps the mixture kill a wider variety of bacteria than ampicillin alone.

Ampicillin-sulbactam is used to treat bacterial infections caused by susceptible bacteria.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When should I take antibiotics?
Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
Not finishing an entire course of antibiotic treatment can have some bad outcomes.  Although you...