How do I take neomycin?

Neomycin is available as a tablet or as a liquid solution. Both forms should be taken with food and plenty of water to diminish stomach irritation and decrease the chances of dehydration. A child's dose is based on body size and will be determined by a doctor.

Neomycin treatment usually takes five to six days. To effectively remove infection from the body, you must take neomycin regularly for the entire course of treatment. If you miss a dose, take neomycin as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for the next regular dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule. Never take two doses of neomycin at once.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...