How do I store ticarcillin-clavulanate?

If you inject the drug yourself (or by healthcare giver) at home, you'll probably receive enough doses in each delivery to last several days. This medication must be kept at room temperature, in the refrigerator or in the freezer, depending on the product being used.

If you receive vials and plain IV bags, store them at room temperature. Reconstitute each dose just before it it to be infused.

If you receive refrigerated IV bags with the drug already in them, store them in the refrigerator. Warm the cold bag for about an hour at room temperature before infusion.

If you receive the IV bags frozen with the drug aready in them, store them in the freezer. Thaw the frozen IV bags in the refrigerator and make sure you have enough doses for 24 hours thawed and in the refrigerator at all times. Then, about an hour before needed, take a dose out of the refrigerator and keep it in a clean place at room temperature. Never refreeze any of the dosages.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...