Does bacitracin treat MRSA infections?

MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infection is a life-threatening bacterial infection caused by Staphylococcus aureus that is resistant to the antibiotic methicillin. Severe cases usually require hospitalization for treatment. MRSA infections are usually treated with systemic antibiotics, either orally or intravenously. Topical bacitracin in combination with neomycin and polymyxin B might be added to the therapy.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What types of infections can antibiotics treat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antibiotics are medicines that only treat bacterial infections. Different medicines kill different t...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...