How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?

Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections cost more to treat and can prolong healthcare use.

In the U.S., antibiotic-resistant infections are responsible for $20 billion in excess healthcare costs, $35 billion in societal costs and $8 million in additional hospital days. By using antibiotics appropriately and only when they are needed, we can all play a role in lowering the cost of resistance on our communities and the country.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...