Will I get diarrhea with meropenem?

It is not uncommon to get diarrhea after receiving antibiotics and meropenem is no different. Meropenem (Merrem) is an antibiotic given intravenously and is used to treat very serious abdominal and skin infections. Diarrhea can be a temporary and mild annoyance or lead to a life-threatening situation. Antibiotics kill bacteria lining the intestines and that can lead to an overgrowth of Clostridium difficile, a type of bacteria that produces toxins that damage the lining of the colon, causing a rare form of colitis. This can sometimes occur weeks or months after treatment has ended.

If you have received meropenem and are experiencing persistent diarrhea, or blood- or mucus-streaked stools, with or without stomach cramps, you should contact your doctor. Do not try to treat the diarrhea yourself with any over-the-counter or prescription anti-diarrhea remedies.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...