What are the side effects of gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment?

Common side effects of gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment include: temporarily blurred vision; sensitivity to light; and stinging, burning or redness following application. If used over time, gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment can lead to the development of other eye infections. Tell your doctor if you notice eye pain, discharge or swelling. Easy bruising or bleeding or changes in mental function can be signs that gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment is being absorbed. Talk to your doctor without delay if this occurs. In rare cases, severe allergic reactions can occur, characterized by difficulty breathing, swelling in the face or mouth, chest tightness and hives. If these symptoms develop, call 911 for emergency medical help. Other side effects may be possible. Talk to your doctor if any new or unusual symptoms occur while using gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...