What is gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment?

Gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic ointment is a formulation of the active ingredient gentamicin, that is designed for application to the eye. It is used to treat infections of the eye or eyelid caused by susceptible bacteria. It also may be used to prevent infections after eye surgery or injury. Gentamicin ophthalmic ointment belongs to the aminoglycoside antibiotic family. It works by killing the susceptible bacteria.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...