Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?

When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This helps wash the germs from the nose and sinuses. After two or three days, the body’s immune cells fight back, changing the mucus to a white or yellow color. As the bacteria that live in the nose grow back, they may also be found in the mucus, which changes the mucus to a greenish color. This is normal and does not mean your child needs an antibiotic. Antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child has sinusitis. Your child’s healthcare provider may prescribe other medicine or give you tips to help with a cold’s other symptoms like fever and cough, but antibiotics are not needed to treat the runny nose.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

when should my child take antibiotics ?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...
do i need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick , green or yellow ?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
should i let my doctor know i am using antibiotic ointment ?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...
can antibiotics treat a viral infection ?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...