Why did my doctor prescribe piperacillin and tazobactam?

The intravenous (IV) antibiotic known as piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn) may be prescribed for several different types of infections. You may have been told that you have community-acquired pneumonia: This is a lung infection that you can acquire at work, at school, or at home, rather than one that you get from being in the hospital. You may have been told you have nosocomial pneumonia: This is pneumonia that you get while you are in the hospital. Or, you may have been diagnosed with severe appendicitis. In severe appendicitis, your appendix, which is a small gland in the lower right part of your abdomen, becomes inflamed. It can then rupture, or burst open. Skin infections, infection within your abdomen (peritonitis), and bacteria in the blood (bacteremia) are also reasons that your doctor may have prescribed this medication for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

how does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs ?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...
do i need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick , green or yellow ?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
what types of infections can antibiotics treat ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antibiotics are medicines that only treat bacterial infections. Different medicines kill different t...
should i let my doctor know i am using antibiotic ointment ?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...