Why did my doctor prescribe piperacillin and tazobactam?

The intravenous (IV) antibiotic known as piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn) may be prescribed for several different types of infections. You may have been told that you have community-acquired pneumonia: This is a lung infection that you can acquire at work, at school, or at home, rather than one that you get from being in the hospital. You may have been told you have nosocomial pneumonia: This is pneumonia that you get while you are in the hospital. Or, you may have been diagnosed with severe appendicitis. In severe appendicitis, your appendix, which is a small gland in the lower right part of your abdomen, becomes inflamed. It can then rupture, or burst open. Skin infections, infection within your abdomen (peritonitis), and bacteria in the blood (bacteremia) are also reasons that your doctor may have prescribed this medication for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...