Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?

A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You should check with your healthcare professional. Persistent green secretions lasting beyond five to seven days can indicate a sinus infection, in which case you may need antibiotics.
When cold or flu germs infect the nose, the nose makes mucus to help wash the germs away. At first, the mucus is clear. But as the body's immune cells fight back, the mucus begins to change color. First it becomes white or yellow. Later it may become green. This is normal and does not mean you need an antibiotic. Still, if things don't improve after about 10 days -- or if your symptoms are severe -- see a doctor. It's possible that you've developed a sinus infection and need antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...