Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?

When cold or flu germs infect the nose, the nose makes mucus to help wash the germs away. At first, the mucus is clear. But as the body's immune cells fight back, the mucus begins to change color. First it becomes white or yellow. Later it may become green. This is normal and does not mean you need an antibiotic. Still, if things don't improve after about 10 days -- or if your symptoms are severe -- see a doctor. It's possible that you've developed a sinus infection and need antibiotics.
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You should check with your healthcare professional. Persistent green secretions lasting beyond five to seven days can indicate a sinus infection, in which case you may need antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When should I take antibiotics?
Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take...
What is an antibiotic?
Dr. Ronald G. Glass, DDSDr. Ronald G. Glass, DDS
An antibiotic is a substance (usually a drug) that either inhibited growth or kills a germ. In order...