Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?

Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the susceptible bacteria and allowing the more dangerous resistant strains to gain a stronger foothold. This can contribute to the big societal problem of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

It also reinforces the point that you shouldn't pester your doctor for antibiotics if he or she tells you that your condition is caused by a virus. While taking a pill may have some sort of placebo effect and make you feel better, it's actually not helping you-and may even harm you, unless you get a bacterial infection on top of your viral one.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
The more common side effects of antibiotics include diarrhea, digestive disturbances, yeast over...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...