Could I get infections while on quinupristin-dalfopristin?

Yes. One of the risks of IV treatment with any medication is that you could get an intravenous (IV) catheter infection. An IV catheter is a thin tube that is placed into your vein. Symptoms indicating that you are getting an IV catheter infection include pain at your IV site, swelling or tenderness at the site or fluid that seems to be draining out of the site. If the area around the IV feels warm to the touch, or even looks irritated or a bit red, tell the nurse or doctor who is giving you the antibiotic. He or she can examine the area and make sure you are not developing an infection. Another type of infection that you could get while on quinupristin-dalfopristin is called a “superinfection.” This is an infection that occurs in addition to the one for which you are being treated. It may happen because the usual balance of your good and bad bacteria is being affected by the antibiotic treatment. You should be aware that the superinfection could be caused by other bacteria or even by fungus growing in your body; also, you may already have finished your course of antibiotic and still develop a superinfection. Talk with your doctor about what symptoms to look for, and make sure you know when you should call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...