How does Cleocin I.V. interact with other medications or food?

Cleocin I.V. may amplify the actions of neuromuscular blocking agents used during surgery. In laboratory tests, erythromycin has been shown not to be compatible with Cleocin I.V., so it is advised these two drugs not be administered together. Tell your doctor if you take over-the-counter medications or herbal supplements, and if you recently had a vaccination with a live bacterial vaccine. Do not mix ampicillin, phenytoin, barbiturates, aminophylline, calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate in the same IV fluid as Cleocin I.V.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...