Can I take quinupristin-dalfopristin if I am pregnant?

Although the United States Food and Drug Administration gives Synercid (the brand name of quinupristin-dalfopristin) a B pregnancy rating -- suggesting that it may be safe to use during pregnancy -- you should know that this rating was based on studies done in animals. These studies did not find that exposure to Synercid caused harm to animal babies. However, no studies have been done in humans. Until more information on the safety of Synercid during pregnancy is available, you should only use this antibiotic if it is needed. If it is possible, using an antibiotic with more safety information available would be a better choice.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...