Can I take quinupristin-dalfopristin if I am pregnant?

Although the United States Food and Drug Administration gives Synercid (the brand name of quinupristin-dalfopristin) a B pregnancy rating -- suggesting that it may be safe to use during pregnancy -- you should know that this rating was based on studies done in animals. These studies did not find that exposure to Synercid caused harm to animal babies. However, no studies have been done in humans. Until more information on the safety of Synercid during pregnancy is available, you should only use this antibiotic if it is needed. If it is possible, using an antibiotic with more safety information available would be a better choice.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...