Can I take kanamycin if I am breastfeeding?

Research has shown that kanamycin does not easily pass into breast milk, so it may be safe to breastfeed if you receive it. Additional studies are needed, so if you're breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of kanamycin. This antibiotic medication, which is given as an injection (a shot), treats serious bacterial infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...