Can I take imipenem and cilastatin if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, talk with your doctor before taking the antibiotic made up of imipenem and cilastatin (Primaxin). If you check your urine for sugar, do not use Clinitest tablets while taking imipenem/cilastatin, because the combo may produce a false reading; instead, use Clinistix or Tes-Tape to check your urine for sugar. If you have any questions about your diabetes while taking imipenem and cilastatin, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Can antibiotics cause extreme thirst and a white tongue?
Antibiotics can suppress your good bacteria and lead to a yeast infection and give you a white tongu...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Mitzi Conover, MDMitzi Conover, MD
Oftentimes, ear infections are treated with antibiotics. It's very common in children under the ...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...