Can I take imipenem and cilastatin if I have colitis?

If you have been diagnosed with colitis, talk to your doctor before being treated with the antibiotic imipenem and cilastatin (Primaxin). Any gastrointestinal disease, but especially colitis, can be aggravated by certain medicines. Because imipenem/cilastatin may cause side effects such as an upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea, your doctor needs to know if you already have gastrointestinal issues. If you have any questions or concerns about taking imipenem and cilastatin with colitis, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...