Can I take imipenem and cilastatin if I have colitis?

If you have been diagnosed with colitis, talk to your doctor before being treated with the antibiotic imipenem and cilastatin (Primaxin). Any gastrointestinal disease, but especially colitis, can be aggravated by certain medicines. Because imipenem/cilastatin may cause side effects such as an upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea, your doctor needs to know if you already have gastrointestinal issues. If you have any questions or concerns about taking imipenem and cilastatin with colitis, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...