Can I take Dificid if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

You may be able to take Dificid (fidaxomicin), an antibiotic for severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding—but you should talk to your doctor first. Animal studies suggest that Dificid may be relatively safe during pregnancy, but no human studies have been done yet, nor has the drug been tested in nursing mothers to see if it passes into breast milk.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...