Can I take Dificid if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

You may be able to take Dificid (fidaxomicin), an antibiotic for severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding—but you should talk to your doctor first. Animal studies suggest that Dificid may be relatively safe during pregnancy, but no human studies have been done yet, nor has the drug been tested in nursing mothers to see if it passes into breast milk.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?
There are many different antibiotic ointments. Some antibiotic ointments can cause an allergic r...