Can imipenem and cilastatin cause serious side effects?

The antibiotic imipenem and cilastatin (Primaxin) can cause serious side effects, such as wheezing, facial swelling, difficulty breathing or confusion. It may also cause dizziness or seizures. If you experience any of these after receiving a treatment of imipenem and cilastatin, contact your doctor immediately. You may be having an allergic reaction to this medication.

Other side effects that should prompt an immediate call to the doctor are a sore mouth or throat, decreased urination, unusual bleeding or bruising, chills, fever, itching, rash or diarrhea. Also talk to your doctor about any side effects from imipenem and cilastatin that bother you or don't go away.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...