Can I get a catheter-related infection with imipenem and cilastatin?

You can get a catheter-related infection if you receive the antibiotic imipenem and cilastatin (Primaxin) through an intravenous (IV) solution. An infection would develop where the needle enters your vein or skin, so tell your doctor if you notice any redness, swelling, irritation or tenderness around the area where the catheter is placed.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
The more common side effects of antibiotics include diarrhea, digestive disturbances, yeast over...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...