Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?

Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those infections. Antibiotics, however, cannot treat cholesteatoma. This disease produces a cyst due to the modification of the eardrum, and this cyst must be removed in order to prevent ear damage. In most cases, surgery is necessary, although in some cases much of the cyst can be removed at the doctor's office and an ear cleaning method used to prevent further damage.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...