Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those infections. Antibiotics, however, cannot treat cholesteatoma. This disease produces a cyst due to the modification of the eardrum, and this cyst must be removed in order to prevent ear damage. In most cases, surgery is necessary, although in some cases much of the cyst can be removed at the doctor's office and an ear cleaning method used to prevent further damage.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow? A common misconception exi...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant? Reputable dentists won't...