Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?

Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though not by many mainstream doctors. That's too bad, because several studies show that about half of the people who take certain antibiotics -- particularly minocycline, a broad-spectrum drug in the tetracycline family -- have as much as a 50% improvement in joint pain and swelling.

Why isn't exactly clear, but a lot about rheumatoid arthritis is unclear. There's some evidence that antibiotics block cartilage-damaging enzymes. Another theory is that the drugs subdue joint inflammation.

There is scientific support for the fact that following a vegetarian or Mediterranean diet lowers inflammation in the body. If your doctor pooh-poohs that, he's probably not going to prescribe antibiotics. A holistic rheumatologist may be more willing to give it a try. To find one, check the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...