Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?

Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though not by many mainstream doctors. That's too bad, because several studies show that about half of the people who take certain antibiotics -- particularly minocycline, a broad-spectrum drug in the tetracycline family -- have as much as a 50% improvement in joint pain and swelling.

Why isn't exactly clear, but a lot about rheumatoid arthritis is unclear. There's some evidence that antibiotics block cartilage-damaging enzymes. Another theory is that the drugs subdue joint inflammation.

There is scientific support for the fact that following a vegetarian or Mediterranean diet lowers inflammation in the body. If your doctor pooh-poohs that, he's probably not going to prescribe antibiotics. A holistic rheumatologist may be more willing to give it a try. To find one, check the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
When should I take antibiotics?
Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take...