Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?

Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications are considered safe for limited use during pregnancy and some should not be used at all. For example, if you develop an infection, your dentist might prescribe penicillin or amoxicillin. However, pregnant women should not be treated with tetracycline because it can stain the fetus' developing teeth. Your dentist or physician can talk with you about medications that are safe to use during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?
Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those i...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...