Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?

Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications are considered safe for limited use during pregnancy and some should not be used at all. For example, if you develop an infection, your dentist might prescribe penicillin or amoxicillin. However, pregnant women should not be treated with tetracycline because it can stain the fetus' developing teeth. Your dentist or physician can talk with you about medications that are safe to use during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...