Can antibiotics cure Lyme disease?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Two key points about Lyme disease:
  • Active Lyme disease can persist after antibiotic therapy.
  • Active Lyme disease may occur in the absence of positive blood antibody tests. This condition, called false negative serology, may be more likely in people who received antibiotics very early in the course of infection.
The Infectious Diseases Society of America has stated that 3 weeks of antibiotics will cure "over 95 per cent" of people with Lyme disease. But many experts have challenged these treatment guidelines for Lyme disease as being inaccurate. As I see it, even if the Infectious Diseases Society of America's guidelines are accurate, they are grossly inadequate: a failure rate approaching 5 per cent for a curable disease is unacceptable.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...