Can antibiotics cure Lyme disease?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Two key points about Lyme disease:
  • Active Lyme disease can persist after antibiotic therapy.
  • Active Lyme disease may occur in the absence of positive blood antibody tests. This condition, called false negative serology, may be more likely in people who received antibiotics very early in the course of infection.
The Infectious Diseases Society of America has stated that 3 weeks of antibiotics will cure "over 95 per cent" of people with Lyme disease. But many experts have challenged these treatment guidelines for Lyme disease as being inaccurate. As I see it, even if the Infectious Diseases Society of America's guidelines are accurate, they are grossly inadequate: a failure rate approaching 5 per cent for a curable disease is unacceptable.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...
What types of infections can antibiotics treat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antibiotics are medicines that only treat bacterial infections. Different medicines kill different t...