Are there serious side effects of quinupristin-dalfopristin?

Yes. As with any medicine that you take, you could develop side effects from taking quinupristin-dalfopristin. One serious side effect is liver damage that results in increased levels of a substance called bilirubin, levels that may be much higher than normal. You may experience pain and even swelling or inflammation when this antibiotic is put into your intravenous catheter (often just referred to as your “IV line”). You may feel muscle or joint pain from quinupristin-dalfopristin, but this may get better if your doctor lowers the number of daily doses you get. Your liver enzymes may increase while taking quinupristin-dalfopristin; your doctor may want to check your liver enzymes while you are on this drug to make sure you are not at risk of liver damage. Finally, you should be aware that being on quinupristin-dalfopristin for a long time puts you at risk of other infections, besides the one for which you are being treated. This is called a “superinfection” and can occur even after your antibiotic treatment has ended.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...