Are there any risks in taking nitrofurantoin?

There are a number of risks associated with taking nitrofurantoin. Nitrofurantoin can cause severe diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration. Nitrofurantoin may make urine tests used by diabetics yield incorrect results. Make sure you talk about this with your doctor to avoid putting you at risk for complications from diabetes. In rare cases, Nitrofurantoin can cause severe and even fatal disorders of the lungs, liver, and nerves. Lung problems usually occur after taking the drug for at least six months and may be symptomless. If you are taking nitrofurantoin over a long period, your doctor may test your lungs to make sure they are functioning properly. Symptoms that can arise with lung problems include difficulty breathing and flu-like symptoms. Symptoms of a liver disorder include jaundiced skin or eyes, extreme nausea, lack of appetite, and pale feces. Signs of a nerve disorder include strange sensations in the hands or feet such as tingling, numbing, or burning. Report any of the above symptoms to your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...