Are there any risks in taking kanamycin?

It is possible to overdose or to have an allergic reaction from kanamycin, particularly if you have a known allergy sulfites. Kanamycin may be more powerful than other antibiotics; consequently it is usually used for short-term medical procedures rather than treatment of a common bacterial infection and may cause more damage if you have a negative drug interaction or condition that reacts negatively to the medication, like any kind of nerve damage or disorder or kidney disease or failure. Kanamycin can cause dizziness that might make it difficult to drive or use machinery after its use. This medication is risky for infants and children.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
Do antibiotics treat all bacterial infections?
There are many different types of antibiotics that are made to treat various bacterial infections. H...