Are there any risks in taking kanamycin?

It is possible to overdose or to have an allergic reaction from kanamycin, particularly if you have a known allergy sulfites. Kanamycin may be more powerful than other antibiotics; consequently it is usually used for short-term medical procedures rather than treatment of a common bacterial infection and may cause more damage if you have a negative drug interaction or condition that reacts negatively to the medication, like any kind of nerve damage or disorder or kidney disease or failure. Kanamycin can cause dizziness that might make it difficult to drive or use machinery after its use. This medication is risky for infants and children.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...