How do I apply neomycin ointment to my eyes?

Your doctor has prescribed neomycin ophthalmic ointment because you have a bacterial infection in your eye. Treatment for eye infections can include neomycin alone or in combination with another type of antibiotic.

You should apply the medicine in the infected eye according to your doctor's prescription.

How to apply an eye ointment:
  • Wash your hands with soap and water before opening the tube
  • To avoid contamination, do not let the tip of the tube come into direct contact with any surface or part of your body, including your eye
  • While looking in a mirror, pull down your lower lid and hold it down
  • Carefully squeeze the tube and let a thin strip of ointment fall into the lid pocket without touching tip of the tube
  • Close your eye for a minute
  • Wipe off the excess with a tissue and wash you hands again
  • Cover the tube and store it out of reach of children
If you have problems with dexterity or have difficulty applying medicine to your eyes, ask someone to help you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...