Are there any risks in taking sulfadiazine?

Certain medical conditions and medications may increase your risk for complications associated with sulfadiazine. Medical conditions that may put you at risk for complications include: allergies to the medication, sore throat, stomach or intestinal infection, diarrhea, liver or kidney problems, asthma, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, diabetes, pregnancy, various blood diseases and problems, porphyria and bladder blockage. Medications that may interfere with your dosage of sulfadiazine include: probenecid, diuretics, sulfonylureas and other diabetes medications, salicylates, blood thinners and indomethacin. You should not take sulfadiazine if you are nursing a child under two months of age. Try to avoid skipping doses of sulfadiazine. When you skip a dose of this medicine, or do not finish it completely, you allow the bacteria to grow back and the medication might not work as well for you if you need to take it again.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...
Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?
Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those i...