Are there any risks in taking sulfadiazine?

Certain medical conditions and medications may increase your risk for complications associated with sulfadiazine. Medical conditions that may put you at risk for complications include: allergies to the medication, sore throat, stomach or intestinal infection, diarrhea, liver or kidney problems, asthma, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, diabetes, pregnancy, various blood diseases and problems, porphyria and bladder blockage. Medications that may interfere with your dosage of sulfadiazine include: probenecid, diuretics, sulfonylureas and other diabetes medications, salicylates, blood thinners and indomethacin. You should not take sulfadiazine if you are nursing a child under two months of age. Try to avoid skipping doses of sulfadiazine. When you skip a dose of this medicine, or do not finish it completely, you allow the bacteria to grow back and the medication might not work as well for you if you need to take it again.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?
Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...