Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?

Triple antibiotic agents are usually creams or ointments that contain 3 antimicrobial agents. The idea is that 1 of the 3 agents will either inhibit the growth or kill a wide range of germs (usually bacteria). Most are used for superficial skin injuries and are available over the counter. The major side-effects are allergies to one of the agents and/or the germs causing the infection are resistant to all 3 agents. Dr. G. 
There are many different antibiotic ointments. Some antibiotic ointments can cause an allergic rash or irritation.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...
Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?
Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the s...